In the mid-17th century Faience of poor quality was made in two Brussels factories. However, in 1705 Corneille Mombaers and Thierry Witsenburg set up a factory that became successful. From 1717 after have been taken over by Philippe Mombaers, son of Corneille they are known to have been making tureens in bird, fish, and fruit shapes. It was united in 1766 with a factory belonging to another branch of the Mombaers family. A second factory, founded in 1802 by the brothers Bellinghen, was bought by Matthieu Stevens in 1822, and closed down in 1866.